How do I Sell My House & Land?

Selling real estate in Newfoundland & Labrador is, generally, easier than buying it.  There are two core documents that a seller needs to concern themselves with:

  1. A Purchase & Sale Agreement; and
  2. A Deed of Conveyance.

These are not the only instruments that your lawyer will require or create on a sale of land, but the Purchase & Sale Agreement and the Deed of Conveyance are key to any real estate transaction involving a transfer of title.


Continue reading “How do I Sell My House & Land?”

A Land Survey is not a Deed

A lot of people in Newfoundland and Labrador have land title problems.  Unfortunately for a lot of people, many Newfoundlanders “have” land that they believe is theirs, but that they don’t have anything remotely close to marketable title to.  Title problems will often float to the surface when people try to buy or sell a parcel of land, or when there is a racket about a boundary or an easement.  Many times a land survey is involved.

A Land Survey does not give you Title to Land

Q: “Hey there, what’s up?”

A: “Fine thanks!” 🙂

Very often when I ask a client if they have title to a parcel of land I get an answer like this: “Oh yes, I had it surveyed.”  Like the answer in the block quote above, it almost seems like it could be a meaningful answer to the question, but it isn’t.  If you are not clear on the difference between a land survey and a deed, and you didn’t go to law school, then I hope you find this brief post helpful. (And if you aren’t clear on the difference between a land survey and a deed, and you did go to law school, then I really hope you find it helpful). Continue reading “A Land Survey is not a Deed”